Dragonfly won't boot

Jim Durham jimd at nepinc.com
Thu Jul 15 13:43:48 PDT 2004

Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Hi,
> :
> :I've been using FreeBSD since 1.1 , but I thought I'd give DragonFly a go
> :and see how it looked.
> :
> :I installed 1.0A on a P4 2.6ghz with P4M266a Northbridge/ VT8235
> :Southbridge
> :and  ITE IT8705 I/O  chipsets.
> :
> :Installation went fine, including installing boot blocks and I can mount
> :ad0s1a  from the memory system booted from the CD on /mnt and everything
> :looks OK..kernel and modules are there, but it just won't boot. Accesses
> :the drive when you hit return after the 'F1' prompt, but no go.
> :
> :Drive is an 80gb Samsung.
> :
> :Sounds like a geometry problem? I have another box I can try and I will
> :do that and see if it's me or what.
> :
> :--
> :-Jim
>
>     Try turning on packet mode.  You can do it from the installer on the
>     CD, or you can boot the CD, login as root, and use boot0cfg to set
>     it.  I think something like:
>
>     boot0cfg -o packet ad0
>
>     In the installer development group's instructions we had realized
>     that we did not do a good job describing 'packet mode' (which is a
>     checkbox in the section where you install boot blocks).  We ran into
>     the release deadline.
>
> -Matt
> Matthew Dillon
> <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I did try that earlier, but I booted from the CD, logged in as 'installer'
and ran the disk utilities/install boot blocks and checked 'packet mode'
and tried again. Still no go.

OK...success! After the last paragraph, I thought of just moving the drive
to another box and it boots there just fine. This is a different
motherboard, a Gigabyte with an AMD Duron.
 I still have 'packet mode' checked, BTW.

More data... I had FreeBSD 5.2.1 on the 2nd box, so I also tried putting
that drive in the box that wouldn't boot DragonFly and it booted 5.2.1 OK.

Both drives are recognized by both BIOSes and they are both in CS mode.
--
-Jim