boot code commit heads up

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Jul 24 10:42:52 PDT 2004

:Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     I have done some fairly serious work on the boot code.  By
:>     default it should remain compatible with the existing boot code but
:>     I would appreciate it if people could test it.  If your machine booted
:>     before, it should still boot now, I hope!
:>
:> 						-Matt
:
:I had experienced a bug in the old boot code that caused the system to
:assume that I desired to boot in a custom manner (it wouldn't auto-boot
:/kernel, it would go to the prompt which required me to type 'boot' to
:continue), but now that bug is gone.  Great work!
:
:Walter Venable

    That could be due to the fix I made to the drive/slice number
    that boot1 passes to boot2.  boot2 was not accessing the correct
    memory location and it was just luck that the contents happened to
    be (0,0) on most machines.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>