USB keyboard

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jul 15 09:37:42 PDT 2004

:
:>     It's a BIOS [mis]-feature.  The two are definitely interfering with
:>     each other so emulation should probably remain off.
:
:Right, but isn't it possible for the OS to turn off the emulation
:once it's up and running?

    Not really.  The best the OS can do is try to ignore one or the other,
    but sometimes even that doesn't work.

:>     The boot issue
:>     is a harder nut to crack.  When emulation is turned off does the
:>     keyboard still work when you are at the boot0 prompt (the blah blah F1>
:>     prompt) ?  i.e. if you hit the default key does it immediately move onto
:>     the next stage ?
:
:No.  The keyboard is already dead by then (I think: I don't have the
:machine here).  Luckily I don't have any other operating systems
:installed :-)
:
:-- Richard

    boot0, boot1, and I think boot2 use BIOS calls to access the keyboard.
    If the BIOS can't tie in the USB keyboard then there is nothing the boot
    can do to save it (that I know of).

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>