RELEASE UPDATE TO 1.0A - issue with installer corrupting slices

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 14 20:56:23 PDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:13:52 -0700 (PDT), Matthew Dillon
<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    The 1.0-REL ISO's installer corrupts slices when installed on
anything
    other then the last slice.  This will mess up people running
multi-boot
    systems.
Is this possibly related to the RAID-0 (Promise 20276 onboard controller
chip) breakage I experience each time I try to mount the array from
DragonFly (which is installed on a third non-RAIDed drive)?  It occurs
instantly upon issuing the mount command, whether I try to mount_ntfs the
Win2000 slice or mount the (UFS1) FBSD-CURRENT slice.  The first 2-3 times
the array breaks I can build it again in the RAID BIOS and recover, but
eventually the corruption is too extensive and the only solution is to
wipe the drives with IBM's DFT and restore from backups.

The breakage does not occur when I issue the mount_ntfs command from FBSD.

This has been occurring for a long while.  I did not experience the
problem with the May 10th snapshot, but when I tried the next stable
snapshot (May 22nd or thereabouts?) in early June, that's when it started
happening.

Jud