DragonFly-1.0 RELEASED!

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Mon Jul 12 13:47:35 PDT 2004

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
On 12.07.2004, at 22:10, Matthew Dillon wrote:

:That's a great news !
:
:What is the OpenBSD packet filter and ALTQ status ? I saw on
DragonFly www that
:someone is working on it. Is it ready to use in Release 1.0 ?
:
:Regards,
:
:F.Julien
    There have been discussions about how best to consolidate the packet
    filters.  I think there is a general trend towards the OpenBSD filter
    but it's still an open item.  There's nothing new in 1.0 but I expect
    the issue will be resolved in the next few months.

concerning pf:
I talked to Max Laier, but unfortuately he doesn't have any time at the
moment to port his work to DragonFly. I looked at his changes to the
original OpenBSD stuff and it doesn't see *that* big. mostly locking and
zone allocation. although I don't have any experience with these things
I will try to have a grip on it. I think we don't need as much locking
as FreeBSD needs when we decide from the beginning to have a
multithreaded packet filer (as tcp is doing already).
	Even if we do bring in PF and stick with it, we will still need
	to make significant number of changes to make it properly work
	with our networking model.
			-Hiten
			hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx