HEADS UP: RCNG update just went into the tree

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Fri Jan 30 22:04:48 PST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:37:13 -0800 (PST)
Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> :>
> :>>I removed all the references to FreeBSD and NetBSD, in the boot
> :>>scripts. while this shouldn't cause any problems I would like
> :>>to hear about it if it does.
> :>>
> :>>Robert Garrett
> :>>
> :>>
> :that or just run mergemaster.
> :
> :Rob
>
>     'make upgrade' should do the trick.  It will simply recopy all the
>     rc files (amoung other things).
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

How odd.

I backed up my /etc directory, did a 'make upgrade', and made a diff
between the old and the new.  I was surprised to see a lot of lines like
this:

-# $DragonFly: src/etc/apmd.conf,v 1.2 2003/06/17 04:24:45 dillon Exp $
+# $DragonFly: src/etc/apmd.conf,v 1.1 2003/06/16 03:41:18 dillon Exp $

Is this normal?  I'm not worried (since this is the only change to most
of these files) but I am curious, since it looks like the revision is
going backwards... plus, there is nothing in the CVSweb log for this
file for Jun 16 2003...

Also on this subject - sorry if it was explained somewhere and I missed
it, but I'm a bit lost.  What is the future of upgrading /etc ?

i.e. I've always liked what mergemaster does, but I've never really
liked how it does it...

How does 'make upgrade' know which changes are my local changes that I
want to keep, and which aren't?  I noticed it left fstab, rc.conf, and
ttys alone (probably because they don't exist in /usr/src/etc,) but
would it do the same for, say, fbtab?  IOW, is it that there's a set of
files you're expected to change, and the rest will get overwritten on
each 'make upgrade'?

-Chris