Internationalization...

Hiroki Sato hrs at jp.FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 16 21:05:44 PST 2004

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai at xxxxxx> wrote
  in <20040116055438.GA776 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

asmodai> -On [20040116 03:02], Hiroki Sato (hrs at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
asmodai> > For FreeBSD, I think one of the reasons why the i18n effort stopped is
asmodai> > a conflict of opinions between the existing locale implementation and
asmodai> > the new one.  The current FreeBSD locale implementation works in
asmodai> > its way, and Citrus locale is too different from it (in implementation).
asmodai> > I like Citrus implementation because it does not depend on the specific
asmodai> > character set, but it still has pros and cons (performance, implementation
asmodai> > complexity, and so on) and not always better than the existing one.
asmodai>
asmodai> Well, are you interested in working this out with me (and those others
asmodai> who have clue in this area) so we can get the implementation working?

 Sounds like interesting :)

 I was working on porting Citrus locale to OpenBSD for the environments
 I maintains and it worked in some degree, but as I know kevlo is
 actively working so I think I will wait until his results are integrated
 into the source tree.  It will be great if it also be available on DragonFly.
 I will work on what I can do with you.

asmodai> Perhaps a hybrid is better.  One thing I always had with the i18n effort
asmodai> in FreeBSD, nothing bad or accusing just very peculiar, was that the
asmodai> only people who spoke up were either the Chinese, Russian, or Japanese.
asmodai> And almost nobody cared about the rest of the world. :(

 That is probably because most of users are not actually in trouble.
 Since people in Asian countries cannot live with no locale support,
 they seriously consider problems around computer processing of natural
 language, such as handling character encoding and character set, more
 comprehensive way.

--
| Hiroki SATO
pgp00008.pgp