Internationalization...

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at wxs.nl
Thu Jan 15 21:56:43 PST 2004

-On [20040116 03:02], Hiroki Sato (hrs at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> For FreeBSD, I think one of the reasons why the i18n effort stopped is
> a conflict of opinions between the existing locale implementation and
> the new one.  The current FreeBSD locale implementation works in
> its way, and Citrus locale is too different from it (in implementation).
> I like Citrus implementation because it does not depend on the specific
> character set, but it still has pros and cons (performance, implementation
> complexity, and so on) and not always better than the existing one.

Well, are you interested in working this out with me (and those others
who have clue in this area) so we can get the implementation working?

Perhaps a hybrid is better.  One thing I always had with the i18n effort
in FreeBSD, nothing bad or accusing just very peculiar, was that the
only people who spoke up were either the Chinese, Russian, or Japanese.
And almost nobody cared about the rest of the world. :(

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://diary.in-nomine.org/
Don't try to find the Answer where there ain't no Question here...