The Trolling on the freebsd- lists

Bill Huey (hui) billh at gnuppy.monkey.org
Tue Jan 6 03:58:00 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:12:22AM +0100, Miguel Mendez wrote:
> Also note that discussing FreeBSD's merits in this list is off-topic.
> The last time DragonFly was discussed in the freebsd-hackers@ mailing
> list, Kip and other people got flamed by Poul-Henning and friends.

. ..which is precisely the problem of the FreeBSD community. Instead
of discourage forking, it should encourage it and then be supported
under the same umbrella as if it was the same project with no intrusive
centralization.

Functional groups, with many highly qualified engineers, ideally should
let things be a plurality without problems or find ways where as many
ideas can be expressed without exclusion. Obviously, folks like phk and
others prefer to put down other potentially interesting work to preserve
their sense of CVS territory and artificially boost their own status
instead, pissing off the very people they need for the project to be
successful.

I keep wanting to exit this thread, but I feel this needs to be said
repeatedly somehow.

bill