The Trolling on the freebsd- lists

Bosko Milekic bmilekic at technokratis.com
Mon Jan 5 19:58:34 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:24:44PM +0000, Paul Robinson wrote:
> Matthew Dillon wrote:
>
> >   Just a note... I would request that if anyone who reads this list is
> >   responsible for or knows the person who is responsible for the trolling
> >   that is going on on the freebsd lists, to please stop or ask the person
> >   responsible to stop.   While it is certainly true that I have major
> >   issues with certain FreeBSD developers, and the path FreeBSD development
> >   has taken, the sort of trolling that is going on is damaging the wider
> >   interests of Open Source in general as well as the many end-users
> >   and many other developers who contribute to FreeBSD, and all the BSD's,
> >   including DragonFly are poorer for it.
> >

> I am not responsible, nor do I know who is. But the person who started
> the "Where is FreeBSD going?" thread had some valid points, and if it is
> a troll, it's the first one I've seen that is in fact accurate. Those of
> us still running FBSD waiting for DF to get to the point where we can go
> to our management and suggest a migration, well, we're not seriously
> considering 5.x for anything useful right now. The points made, although
> personal, are valid. I don't think you should be getting involved in
> censoring those over there, and I only hope that you, unlike -core,
> actually listen to the sysadmins and end users in the future before
> going off and doing something mad. :-)
>
> I agree though, it may put you and DFBSD into a bad light with the way
> it has been done. There were better ways of doing it.

  Before you go on and spread FUD, can you define the "direction" you
  think FreeBSD has headed into with 5.x and tell me why you think it is
  wrong (after having defined it)?  In my eyes, the end "direction" of
  both projects (5.x and DragonFly) is more alike than not and while the
  implementation is significantly different, that should not be a valid
  basis for the argument that the direction itself is wrong.  You might
  be compelled to argue that it goes beyond implementation but then you
  ought to step back and ask yourself what each project aims to
  accomplish, exactly, in terms of the end-user, and I ask that you tell
  me how then the goals are so "drastically" different.

  As for the differences in implementation, I first challenge you to
  show me (and other readers) your contribution post back in the early
  stages of 5.x design, since you claim that the FreeBSD community has
  not listened to "sysadmins and end users" (which I assume for the
  moment you are).

> --
> Paul Robinson

Regards,
--
Bosko Milekic  *  bmilekic at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  *  bmilekic at xxxxxxxxxxx
TECHNOkRATIS Consulting Services  *  http://www.technokratis.com/

"Of course people don't want war... that is understood.  But voice or
no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders.  That's easy.  All you have to do is tell them they are
being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism
and for exposing the country to danger.  It works the same in any
country."  -- Hermann Goering