systimer01.patch available for review.

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Jan 28 21:59:59 PST 2004

:Which brings me to another point:
:
:if you/we want to make everything compiler agnostic it would mean taking
:the assembly out of the .[ch] files and put them in .s files.  Not all
:compilers do inline assembly.  And not even all do it as gcc/gas do it
:(syntactically).
:
:--
:Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai / kita no mono

    Well, I don't think we want to put everything in .s files... that
    would create serious performance issues for things like inb() and
    outb(), btrl(), etc.  And there are some things, like __MAKE_SET(),
    which would be very hard to move.  But there are probably quite a few
    things that can be moved to .s files without impacting performance and
    I would not be opposed to moving those.

    The test of mettle would be to rewrite the in_cksum*() routines
    in i386/i386/in_cksum.c and i386/include/in_cksum.h.  That's probably
    the messiest assembly we have.  Other things, like the junk in
    i386/isa/prof_machdep.c could probably just be moved into an assembly
    file.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>