Background fsck

Dan Melomedman dan at devonit.com
Mon Jan 19 14:46:33 PST 2004

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> 4 MB pieces looked in the different areas of the disk. The option to
> split the journal into pieces becomes useful if you have RAID or similiar
> means in place, which can effect the overall performance dramatically.

I think it could benefit performance putting a journal on a faster RAID 1
mirror if you have a huge RAID5 array. Remember that if you have one of
those expensive RAID controllers with battery-backed write-back cache,
you should have the FS synced so that you have the speed-up
of the write-back cache AND data consistency guarantee in a crash. softupdates
alone guarantee metadata consistency in a crash only. You still lose
data.