Junior kernel hacking

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Jan 12 11:23:25 PST 2004

:I was thinking about this lately in an IRC with Simon. You might want to check
:the #if defined(__FreeBSD__) / #if __FreeBSD_version > 5something in vendor
:code. For instance there are issues in net/{ppp,ppp_layer} introduced with
:the if_xname change and there might be other lurking around. Basically that's
:a s/__FreeBSD__/__DragonFly__/g in the most cases, but still it's better to
:have a human eye there.
:
:Plus for "junior kernel hacking", you need to read a lot of code and get a
:basic idea of what is going on/what builds on top of what etc. ... on the
:minus side, you have to read a lot of code and this will take a "junior
:hacker" much longer than needed.
:
:Comments? This needs not be the ultimate answer, but the plan to get rid of
:__FreeBSD__ in "our" gcc is still accurate, right?
:
:--
:Best regards,				| max at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
:Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
:http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier at EFnet

    Yes, in fact we will *have* to get rid of __FreeBSD__ in our gcc base
    before the first release (we can add it back in for those ports that
    compile more easily withi t, but it needs to be removed from the
    compiler base).

    I don't like segregating things into 'Junior' and 'Senior' kernel
    hacking.  Some things are easier then others but it still all needs to
    be done.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>