The Trolling on the freebsd- lists

Bill Huey (hui) billh at gnuppy.monkey.org
Tue Jan 6 22:56:03 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:39:41PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
. ..
>     This certainly skews the political and governance structure quite
>     seriously.  It creates responsibility and livelihood issues for
>     everyone involved as well as creates work compartmentalization in places
>     that really need more eyes on them.  This in turn stratifies the
>     development process and greatly reduces peer review and control over
>     the effected subsystems.  It isn't so much that outside contributions
>     are being ignored as it is that there are very few 'big picture'
>     developers left who feel any responsibility to work on things outside
>     their own areas of direct interest, or who are willing to ride the
>     gauntlet of other developers by 'intruding' in their territory with
>     patch sets.

Yes, and my point is that this needs to be handled professionally by folks
that understand this point of view of large organization issues. In my situation,
it wasn't, regardless of how much of hot head I am (), it's their responsibility
to deal with strained situations like that. If not, then two week later when people
are a bit calmer.

>     Linus Torvolds, on the otherhand, has managed to keep the money away
>     from the Linux political core, and there is far more money involved in
>     Linux related projects then in FreeBSD ones.  Dealing with money issues
>     is inevitable but when it does become an issue I hope to follow the
>     Linux model in that regard rather then the FreeBSD model.

Good, this is exactly what I wanted in to hear in this situation. :)

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I believe this is still a very important thing,
regardless if it involves me or not. It was the analytic of the situtation that
I was most distressed about since they didn't understand their responsibilities
clearly IMO.

I really didn't want to open this up again, but recent event via private mail
has me on edge about this stuff.

bill