HEADS UP! Major GCC surgery being committed in a little while.

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jan 15 23:17:48 PST 2004

    In the next hour or two I will be committing some major GCC surgery.
    Basically what will be happening is that all the compiler-specific
    data files and binaries will be moved into named subdirectories.

    /usr/libdata/gcc will move to /usr/libdata/gcc2
    /usr/libdata/ldscripts will move to /usr/libdata/gcc2/ldscripts
    /usr/libexec/{all_gcc_binaries} -> /usr/libexec/gcc2/*
    /usr/libexec/elf/* -> /usr/libexec/gcc2/elf/*
    and so forth.
    /usr/bin/{compiler-related-binaries} will undergo a major overhaul.

    Some of the compiler support binaries in /usr/bin are direct install
    targets.  These will be moved into /usr/bin/gcc2.

    All compiler support binaries in /usr/bin... the ones that were both
    direct install AND the ones that were hardlinked to objformat will now
    *ALL* be hardlinked to objformat, and objformat will exec() the correct
    path.

    We are implementing multiple compiler support.  Eventually the
    objformat wrapper will detect a compiler selection option and the
    new one already understands a GCCVER environment variable.  The
    goal is going to be to be able to support both gcc2 and gcc3 in
    the base system, tendra, and other compilers with nothing more then
    a simple environment variable or compiler option.

    WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?  David Rhodus and I will be doing additional
    work and life-testing ports and other things tomorrow.  Theoretically
    the only thing YOU need to do is when you do a full buildworld and
    installworld is to also be sure to also install /usr/src/etc/rc.d/ldconfig
    into /etc/rc.d.  This is because libstdc++ is currently in a
    per-compiler install dir.

    NOTE:  This material has not been committed yet so do not perform these
    steps tonight!  Do it tomorrow.  I intend to commit tonight after I
    finish bootstrap and buildworld tests.