FreeVxFS

Miguel Mendez flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org
Wed Jan 14 10:29:32 PST 2004

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:

Is this RW? I've always been under the impression that this was there to
be able to mount vxfs volumes from Linux in read only mode.
Mmm, that might be right.  Not sure to be honest.  If so, it would be
akin to the NTFS code we have. ;)
Googling around it seems it's still readonly. AFAIK the only OS for x86
that uses VxFS by default is SCO's UnixWare. Most Solaris boxen were FS
reliability is critical use VxFS as well, so it could be useful for some
people if/when DFly gets ported to sparc. It's pretty much a niche
application. I'd say it depends on the amount of required man-hours to
port it. I personally find it much more interesting to develop a native
journaling FS for DF. Been wanting to do so for a long time. I even have
some small prototypes and lots of ideas on paper, but it will be several
months before I have something people can look at. It also depends on
how much spare time I can get, been quite busy with work lately.

Cheers,
--
	Miguel Mendez <flynn at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
	http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org