Source tarballs?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Feb 20 12:24:42 PST 2004

:Hey list,
:
:Just an idea which could save some time when strapping up new dfly
:machines: Could we also have source tarballs? Maybe Simon can wire up
:some stuff in the snapshot building that tars up the source and offers
:that as well. It could save some time when cvsupping, and probably
:lessen the load on the cvsup servers.
:
:Well?
:
:Cheers,
:Emiel
:--

    The problem with this is that some people with fast connections will get
    lazy and start downloading the whole-source tar rather then cvsup'ing,
    so I would prefer not to do it (at least on the main site).  If other
    people want to make a tar'd source archive available that is up to
    them, and I have no problem adding hotlinks to the download section.

    Also, the sources in the tar are going to become obsolete almost
    instantly, requiring daily regeneration.  This is in contrast to the
    ISO images for which it is not really necessary to do a daily
    regeneration.

    Putting them on the CD is also not a good idea (just in case someone
    brings that up as an idea).  It bloats the CD, the sources become
    obsolete almost instantly, and they present a release-management bloat
    issue as well making it difficult to manage the CD release builds.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>