READ command timeout

Erik Paulsen Skaalerud erik at pentadon.com
Wed Feb 18 16:45:16 PST 2004

> tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
>
> Sometimes it's read, sometimes it's write.
> Sometimes I see 'waiting for DRQ' or 'reverting to PIO mode'.
>
> Is this a software problem or a dying drive?  It's in a laptop, so cables
> aren't the issue.

This problem is often very hard to pinch down exactly what may be the cause.
In some way, it's almost always the hardware. My first bet would be the IDE
controller faulting.
Also, try to listen if the disk is stopping and starting up again. An old
broken IDE-disk I had used to do that for a while until it eventually died,
and freebsd yelled the very same error you're getting.

Erik