propolice only in gcc2

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Feb 17 20:22:27 PST 2004

:Hello!
:
:	Few days ago I noticed that website mentions stack protection being
:part of the system so I decided to check it on one of my test
:machines... but looks like it is only part of gcc2:
:
:cc -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector -mcpu=pentiumpro -Wall    -c
:/usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c
:cc1: error: unrecognized option `-fstack-protector'
:
:(happened after setting CCVER=gcc3 in make.conf)
:Btw: propolice is very stable on FreeBSD 4.x and so far seems fine on
:5.x as well.
:
:Tomaz

    Tomaz, you are right, the propolice patch is not being applied to
    GCC3 yet.  It's low priority right now, there are other gcc3isms we
    have to get working first.

    But I would not expect it to be hard to do.  The patch would go into
    a separate contrib directory and the build system would have to create
    local copies of the source files it applies to and then apply it.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>