Website layout method

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Thu Feb 5 04:17:23 PST 2004

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:Something that I thought of while talking with Dylan Reinhold:  The
:DragonFly site is somewhat overengineered at this point.  The pages are
:created dynamically, but the only direct benefit now is highlighting the
:current page.
:
:Eventually  there will be more pages than can be displayed in a side menu,
:so unless there's an upcoming need for program output on every page, it may
:be better to use apache server side includes instead and stick to CGI when
:the page demands it.  Opinions?  Matt, would you be willing to turn on
:server side includes?

    Server side includes aren't really powerful enough, nor do I really
    want to add complexity to our pages.  The CGI overhead is basically
    nil and it gives us the ability to chang the framing without having to
    mess with the pages.  If we needed to, we could easily implement additional
    $variable based dynamic content.
	At the moment, I do not have much time, but I have been working
	on a PHP FastTemplate type system for the DragonFly websites. In
	my Freelance Web Designing years, it has proved to be extremely
	useful in separating logic from presentation.
	The system I describe will help us in coordinating content in a
	very appropriate way, i.e. we can shove whatever we want and
	make the layout still look consistent; automatic sitemap
	generation, and the rest of other blah blah blah...
	But this will take some time as I am currently busy setting up a
	test documentation framework for DragonFly.
	Over and out,

		-- Hiten Pandya (hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx)