June release?

Eirik Nygaard eirikn at kerneled.com
Wed Feb 25 08:32:43 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 04:03:59PM +0000, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> >Robert Garrett wrote:
> >

> >>If we are thinking about a release in june, what needs to happen
> >>to make that a reality?
> >

> >Ports equivalent?
>
> 	Hmm, I am iffy as to wether we will have an equivalent by
> 	then, since ~3/7 DragonFly developers are busy with
> 	stabilizing the kernel and userland and bringing them up to
> 	scratch on various fronts.

Keep the hope up, and everything is possible.

> 	If possible, we should maintain some sort of compatibility
> 	with the ports system because, well, there are 10,000 ports
> 	out there!

I don't think that ports compatibility is a good thing, that means the
userbase will most likely be split in two, those who use our package
system and those who use FreeBSD ports. Since we are going to make out own
package system I think we should jump in with both legs and hope for the
best.

If we have two package systems we will spend time testing and debuging the
other one as well, and not only our own, which will lead to less work on
our package system, which again will lead to slower development of it.

--
Eirik Nygaard
eirikn at xxxxxxxxxxxx    Never let a computer know you're in a hurry.