ACPI was the culprit

Erik Paulsen Skaalerud erik at pentadon.com
Wed Feb 18 16:47:41 PST 2004

> > I built the GENERIC kernel and that doesn't boot.
>
> Have you tried removing APM?  APM is enabled in the GENERIC
> kernel, and it can possibly be the culprit.

Isn't apm disabled?

[erik at dragon:~]$ grep -i apm /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power
Management
                                                ^^^^^

Maybe it means that the flags 0x20 is disabled, dunno. But every time I
needed apm to work I had to only have "device apm0" in kernel, no flags at
all.

Erik.