lkwt in DragonFly

Sten Spans sten at blinkenlights.nl
Tue Feb 10 03:58:03 PST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Miguel Mendez wrote:

> Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
>
> > I prefer to go with a hybrid method.  1:1 doesn't work.
>
> Could you elaborate on that? I agree that the prefered implementation is
> something KSE/SA alike, but Solaris is moving to 1:1 after years of
> trying to make N:M work properly. The main problem I see with 1:1
> threading is kernel memory usage on heavily threaded applications, but
> other than that? Implementation is a lot simpler than in the N:M case.
> The SA idea looks very good on paper until you start implementing and
> see it's actually pretty hard work to get it functioning properly.

idem for linux, see: http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl-design.pdf
the short summary is that fixing your kernel to work nicely with 1:1
is easier then getting the hairy details of n:m properly working.

I'd like to know why for dragonfly n:m would be better.

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem