Packaging system effort

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Feb 26 07:02:47 PST 2004

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

> Thoughts about a packaging system
> ---------------------------------
> $Revision: 1.2 $
> $Date: 2004/02/25 15:02:27 $

My pet peeve - that installation should require in most every case only one
step, and proceed with reasonable defaults - is already described.

Most (all?) packaging systems assume the software is freely available.  I
would like to see some mechanism for commercial software.  It's probably
already possible - the "package" would assume you've acquired the for-pay
software on CD or through separate download, and work with that data.

On the late, lamented BeOS platform, there was a whole software purchasing
and installation methodology for this that was a very good idea - however,
once you involve things like actual cash, it becomes a big undertaking.
So, we're probably fine.  My point is irrelevant.  Destroy this message
before reading further.