ACPI was the culprit

Dave Leimbach leimySPAM2k at mac.com
Wed Feb 18 11:37:54 PST 2004

David Rhodus <drhodus at xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Then it's a completely different issue causing the boot problem on DragonFly:

I tried all of the following and I still get hung up just after the detection
of my DVD-ROM.

hint.acpi.0.disabled=1 # disable ACPI (i386 only)
hw.ata.ata_dma=0       # disable IDE DMA
hw.ata.atapi_dma=0     # disable ATAPI/IDE DMA
hw.ata.wc=0            # disable IDE disk write cache
hw.eisa_slots=0        # disable probing for EISA devices

I built the GENERIC kernel and that doesn't boot.

I can't get FreeBSD 4.9 to run either but I did manage to get 5.2.1 RC2
to boot in "Safe Mode" as well as the "disable ACPI" mode.

That's why I started looking down this path.

Dave