Install on Second Slice

Lucas Reddinger lucas at wingedleopard.net
Sat Feb 7 19:46:44 PST 2004

Okay, I don't want to destroy my OS on my first slice just yet. I
followed the manual install instructions as written. What I did
different were:

I prepared an fdisk partition in sysinstall under FreeBSD.
I installed new boot blocks under DragonFly.
I made new device nodes under DragonFly for the second slice, including
ad0s2, ad0s2[a-h].
I made the auto label and edited it. I made newfs on the correct slice.

Then, when booting, I try to select the F2 BSD, and I just get a beep.

So, I went back into the install, and I try to dd the label so that I
can rewrite it (like the README says if you cannot boot...)

I dd from /dev/zero to /dev/ad0s2 after making the device nodes. It says
that /dev/ad0s2 is a read-only filesystem, and I get this on the
console:

dscheck(#ad/0x30002): fixlabel: invalid magic

What did I do wrong?

Thanks,
Lucas