Subversion Release Candidate

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sun Feb 1 15:27:17 PST 2004

At 11:00 PM +0100 2/1/04, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
-On [20040201 21:12], Jeremy Messenger (mezz7 at xxxxxxx) wrote:
 > Any replacement of CVSup? It will be nice if someone create a
 > new tool similar to CVSup, but without depend the EZM and use
 > SVN instead CVS or use both CVS and SVN by choice.
It's on my list (SVNSync) as well as svn2cvs.  Progress is slow,
but moving forward.
For what it's worth, there is an effort underway to rewrite the
CVSup client in C.  In fact, there were TWO efforts underway, one
in C++ and one in C.  The C effort was farther along, so I gave
up on the C++ rewrite once I found out about the other one.
I think the goal is to have a "base-system-able" CVSup client
available (at least for testing) by the time FreeBSD 5.3 is
released.  Perhaps sooner, if someone was willing to pay to
underwrite the coding effort.  By "base-system-able", I just
mean that it will require only C, and it will have a BSD license.
I think this is just the client though.  People running a CVSup
server might still need the modula-3 compiler.
The main reason I'm mentioning this is that I wouldn't want a
THIRD rewrite to start up at this point!
[I'd also say that I'm also very interested in subversion, and I
hope to start playing around with it soon, but I would not commit
any huge repository to it just yet...]
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx