Heads up on binutils214

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Feb 1 01:00:36 PST 2004

    I am beginning to commit binutils214 stuff.  The commits will run in
    four stages and it isn't going to work until the last stage has been
    committed.

    The first stage committed tonight just brings in the build infrastructure
    for i386.  I hope to get the additional stages committed tomorrow but
    I still have my work cut out for me:

    stage 1:	basic dfly build infrastructure for binutils
    stage 2:	add amd64 cross build and gdb support
    stage 3:	commit culled binutils-2.14 distribution from gnu as
		contrib/binutils-2.14 and enable in buildworld.
    stage 4:	tie binutils-2.14 into the build system and make objformat
		use it by default for gcc3 compiles.

    I have managed to work up a pretty clean implementation.  The intention
    is to not have to modify the native gnu dist in contrib/ at all and
    so far I am succeeding.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>