Booting problem

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Fri Aug 13 10:39:26 PDT 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:11:28 -0400, "Justin Sherrill"
<justin.sherrill at xxxxxxxxx> said:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:58:54 +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan
> <rakhesh at xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Here's my setup: I have three disks. IDE. On a x86 machine. Two of them
> > are primary master and slave. The third one is a secondary slave. They
> > have many OSes installed on them, and I use GRUB to boot between these.
> > I decided to install DragonFlyBSD on my third disk (the secondary slave)
> > -- as the fourth slice of that disk (ad3s4). Everything went fine (nice
>
> This may not apply, since you've already been successfully using this
> setup, but I assume you have a CDROM as the secondary master?  I've
> experienced 3 IDE disk setups that would have strange problems until
> the CDROM was placed on the secondary slave spot - i.e. last.

Yup, my CDROM drive is the secondary master.

Offtopic to this discussion, but would it make any performance
improvements if I were to have the third disk a secondary master instead
of a secondary slave? Or to rephrase my question, am I "losing" any
performace by making a hard-disk a slave instead of a master? Just
curious ... that's all.

Thanks,
Rakhesh