ideas 3

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Wed Aug 11 04:52:48 PDT 2004

Ed wrote:

I would suggest to promote the broad adoption of bzip2 format for [...]
distfiles.
I guess you can't control this, you have to take what is offered.

Now that you are working on pkg management tools I'd like to see a
special
focus on HTTP only transfers. FTP is a big problem for firewall and
NATted
users (especially active ftp) and also needs a lot of sockets on the
server.

I'd like to see HTTP as default method to fetch distfiles [...].
Again: for distfiles you have to use whatever is offered. You can use
MASTER_SORT_REGEX to prefer HTTP transfers, but some distfiles are only
available via ftp.

-Oliver