/boot/ directory path

Barry Bouwsma freebsd-misuser at remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk
Sat Aug 7 13:58:16 PDT 2004

[drop me from replies and I'll catch the archives, thankx]

I should probably be shot for even thinking this, but here goes.

May I pick at the brains of someone much more familiar with the
boot loader than I, to see if this idea is worth my time?

I'd like to change the path /boot/ under which all sorts of
things can be found to, well, something else like /dboot/ .
Why?  Because I'd like to work around BIOS limitations of
geometry and/or support for external drives, allowing me to
keep an OS pretty much anywhere I want, only needing to be
able to boot loader/kernel/modules from one partition common
to all (and on a honkin' small disk, too).

I see a fair number of hardcoded paths to `/boot/foo' in the
few source files I've looked at so far.  Basically, I want
DFly to always look at /dboot/foo and ignore the presence of
any /boot.  Then I pass this path to `grub'.

Is this a reasonable thing to try, or am I off my rocker?

thanks
barry bouwsma