Chicken/egg build problem?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Apr 23 09:05:26 PDT 2004

:Last time I built world, I crashed on the mbufs problem.  If I cvsup and
:build now, will the same thing happen?  If so, how do you build a good
:system on a borken one?
:
:jm
:--
:My other computer is your Windows box.

    The easiest thing to do is to download the ISO CD, mount it, and copy
    its kernel (and modules if your kldstat show that you are using some)
    onto your HD.  Then reboot normally and you should have a system working
    well enough to rebuild the world.

    Same goes for people who might have blown up their compiler by trying
    to recompile it with high optimization options... just pull the binaries
    off of the CD.

    Other alternatives include keeping around copies of older kernels.  I
    usually 'cp /kernel /kernel.bak' on machines which seem to be stable,
    in case I blow it down the line.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>