checkpoint/restart

Dave Leimbach leimySPAM2k at mac.com
Wed Apr 21 07:51:26 PDT 2004

Emiel Kollof <coolvibe at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wednesday 21 April 2004 15:45, Dave Leimbach wrote:
> > I'm actually doing some checkpoint restart research in my day job and
> > a coworker pointed me to some linux kernel module stuff that he was
> > planning to use.
> >
> > I think we could potentially use the BSD stuff in our research as well
> > [This particular stuff is supposed to use the LAM MPI implementation so I
> > don't know how much DragonFly stuff I can use yet].
> >
> > Problem is I loaded the checkpoint module and I tried using ctrl-e and
> > ctrl-E to checkpoint a process but I never get any kind of checkpoint file
> > written out anywhere.
> >
> > Does this stuff work in more recent DragonFly kernels or am I missing
> > something?
>
> Yeah, enable checkpointing by enabling the sysctl that enables it since it
> defaults to off. This because it's a security risk.
>
> Hope that helps,

Actually loading the module is all you have to do.  The problem was my
shell.  zsh is capturing ^E as something other than the checkpoint signal.

I think I can bind the key to do what I want.  Problem is ctrl-e is very useful
on the bash command line for us Emacs keybindings users... :)

it means "go to the end of the line".  ctrl-a is the other direction..   Why
not ctrl-| for the checkpoint?  I don't think anything uses that.

Dave