Benchmarking

Eli Scott dragonfly at brainguts.no-ip.com
Thu Apr 8 14:50:52 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 12:43, Randy Bush wrote:
> >  Computer science is anyone who sits down in front of a computer and
> >  experiments and learns from it.
>
> and the science of physics is playing with an apple.  bullshit.
>
> randy

Science is just a method used to reach deductions based on data.  It's a
way to gain knowledge.  An apple dropping is a phenomena.  Gathering
data or observations of an apple dropping, and then coming to a
conclusion based on that data is science.  To the on looker, it may
appear that you are indeed playing with an apple, but you may take a
totally different perspective on the matter.

The benchmark that was presented had all the hallmarks of science - a
repeatable method, data, and conclusions based on that data.  Whether or
not it was *good* science is up for debate, one which I'll stay out of.

And, quite frankly, some scientists do view science as a game.  It's
fun.  They derive pleasure from partaking in it.  So, open your mind a
little.

Sorry to take this outside the bounds of this list, but it really pisses
me off when people blatantly missrepresent what is and is not science.

-Eli