Event reporting (was Re: Anybody working on removing sendmail from base?)

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Tue Sep 30 21:52:03 PDT 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:01:56 -0500
Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:44:51 +0000, Sander Vesik wrote:
>
> > Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> I just read the insterest info of Freedesktop.org's HAL, which it
> >has been> released.
> >>
> >> http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=4691
> >
> > It starts to suck very rapidly once you go away from the
> > "this is a desktop machine in front of which somebody is
> > sitting" model. Havoc may be a brilliant desktop hacker
> > but rarely thinks outside that box
>
> And, I don't think I am going to like with the new SystemServices
> idea, a replacement for the init system. It's written in Python, btw.
>
> Well, I think I am going to sit as duck and watch the happens. ;-)

Hmm... three days ago, Havoc & freedesktop.org weren't even on my radar.
But the more I read, the more I think I agree with this sentiment - the
whole thing strikes me as very "propellerhead-y"...

Hardware abstraction and event-orientation aren't solely desktop issues,
so treating them like desktop issues is overspecification.  So, I worry.

Plus, the thought of APIs designed by fiat-of-working-USB-hotplug-hack
makes me shudder.  Widespread adoption is no good if it's the widespread
adoption of crap :)

Just more stuff to add to my notes until the message-bus-list reappears
I guess.

-Chris