Project UDI (Device Drivers)

ibotty bsd at ibotty.net
Thu Sep 25 01:40:05 PDT 2003

 The huge amount of work they made is explained on:
>     http://www.projectudi.org/
> and an initial port for FreeBSD 4.x can be found here:
>     http://projectudi.sourceforge.net/

both pages look dead. is this effort still alive?
(prjectudi.sf.net only having one single newsitem for the last 2 years)

even if yes, it is still questionable, if we get any advantage on getting
udi-support in the os. as far as i read on above pages, there are virtually
no drivers.

the linux camp will NOT switch to udi (or even develop anything for udi), so
we are left with drivers, that are either closed-source by sco (which is in
progress of dying), or which are so trivial, that we can develop them in a
fraction of time, than finish the udi-wrapper.

this is just my humble opinion, though.
if someone wants to start, go ahead!

~ibotty