Anyone protecting the stack?

David Rhodus drhodus at catpa.com
Thu Sep 18 20:39:45 PDT 2003

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 07:31 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

Hi;

I posted this to freebsd-hackers and everyone seemed to agree it was
extremely interesting and that it had to be done, but AFAICT no one is
doing the tough work. JIC anyone here is interested I repost the link
NetBSD's commit log:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2003/08/24/0027.html
I've very skeptical that adding this hack in. Right now the target
platform
for DragonFly is ia32 and this does not have a pte or exec bit on the
processor.
For this reason the code implementation to make this work is a major
hack.
Which I think would bit at our heals for as long as we run it in the
tree. This is
one that I don't think anyone should consider trying put in for a very
long time.
This is something that really would slow down the progression of the
project
because of how much it would break. First work quanta's should be
focused on
task items that are a lot more productive in meeting some already
defined goals.
Any then everyone will better understand that is something that should
not be considered.

-DR