cache_lookup() work this week.

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Sep 8 14:21:11 PDT 2003

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:19:49 -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 1:21 PM -0500 9/8/03, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>>On Mon, 08 Sep 2003, drhodus wrote:
>>  >
>>  > With a GPL'd filesystem you couldn't have that as the
>>  > default FS for the system.
>>
>>Why not? I don't understand, because GCC, GDB, diff and lot
>>of GPL stuff are in the system by default.
>
> However, they are not linked into the kernel by default, thus
> they do not force the kernel to be GPL'ed.  And you can't just
> say "well, the BSD license is as good as a GPL, so we can stick
> with a BSD license".  The kernel would have to explicitly be GPL.
> That is the way the GPL license is written, we don't have much
> room to debate about it.
>
> Also, the system does not need those pieces just to start up.
> The default-filesystem would pretty much have to be linked
> into the kernel, or else you get into a bootstrapping problem
> at initial system startup.

Ok, thanks for explain. I think, I saw some source codes in BSD license
went into source codes in GPL license. So, I thought we can do GPL -> BSD
too as long we have the source codes available to download.

> It would be great to have support for these other file systems,
> but I think DragonFly has to stick with a BSD-licensed fs for
> the default file system.

Agree. It will be even better (awsome) if anyone dare to write something
new FS from stratch in BSD license. I like the new Reiser4. It looks like
the author of ReiserFS is little flexible on license, but I don't know how
he will like to allow it change as in the BSD license.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.