new sysinstall

leafy leafy at chihiro.leafy.idv.tw
Fri Sep 5 02:07:50 PDT 2003

Sander Vesik <sander at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It does, but we don't have, for example, zh_TW.UTF-8 locale available :)
>> And I am not sure if the UTF-8 support will work even if we do have the
>> corresponding locale.
>
> Well, the lack of zh_TW.UTF-8 is IMHO unfortunate - but really, it is not
> needed for this purpose. All that is needed is:
>        * links to be able to deal with html that uses utf-8 from the
>          ideographic areas of unicode
>        * have the installation program consistenly use utf-8
Without zh_TW.UTF-8, we cannot display UTF-8 encoded Chinese :) It will
be no better than using links without UTF-8. To my understanding, this
links stuff will be used during the installation stage on the console.
So without support for zh_TW.UTF-8 *AND* the ability to display Chinese
in UTF-8 (such as in Solaris), it would make no difference if the html
files are encoded in UTF-8.

> Display in web browser is normaly not related to locale - i know my
> browser displays spam html mails coming from east-asia just fine 8-)
Heh, my IE and Konqueror display UTF-8 just as well, but that's because
they can handle all UTF-8 encoding plus the display system knows the
correct UTF-8 characters to display.

To correctly display UTF-8 charaters on the console (in this case, lynx
or links), you need:

1. A browser that understands UTF-8 (ok for both links and lynx)
2. A console program that actually knows UTF-8 and display correct
charaters. This is what we lack, along with the locale.

Using lynx with ports/chinese/zhcon or ports/chinese/big5con let users
read GB or Big5 encoded pages, whereas links currently just strip the
8th bit and produces unreadable output.

Jiawei

--
"Without the userland, the kernel is useless."
               --inspired by The Tao of Programming