new sysinstall

ibotty me at ibotty.net
Mon Sep 1 23:32:38 PDT 2003

tseye.mine.nu>

> I had some other thoughts wrt this thread, pretty trivial actually:
>
> - Licensing.  Last I looked into it, GPL didn't play nice with being
> 'bundled' with non-GPL stuff.  Does a live CD filesystem with both GPL
> and non-GPL tools count as 'bundling'?  Would we have to get the
> author's permission?  How does the requirement that GPL tools must come
> with source affect the footprint?  Are these, taken together, a strong
> enough reason to prefer LGPL/Artistic/BSD/etc licensed tools instead?

GPL does not force every single piece of software distributed with a bundle
to become GPL. Knoppix has shown with acroread, that it is possible to even
bundle commercial software with GPL.

The requirement, that every GPL tool must come with source is easily
bypassed, when you note, where you can get the source. so as long as
ruby/python/php is somewhere to be found on the net, we would not violate
the GPL.

~ibotty