new sysinstall

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at wxs.nl
Mon Sep 1 11:51:43 PDT 2003

-On [20030828 20:52], Hiten Pandya (hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>	Grep is not something that can be used for solving such
>	problems.  I do not see how XML obscures things, without
>	providing some concrete evidence.

For configuration files nothing beats simple hashing schemes.  Totally
more lightweight than any XML parser.

Don't overload XML with things it was never designed to be.  XML was
designed to be a more lightweight and modern SGML and to ensure portable
data in an extensible manner.

>	Thinking extensibility, and the future, XML is the way
>	to go as far as configuration is concerned, because it
>	puts a lot of power at our finger tips.

I have to disagree with you here.  It's overkill.  See above.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B