Ports & Pkg Mgr

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Sat Sep 27 21:41:39 PDT 2003

James Frazer <jfrazer at xxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:3f765cfd$0$268$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> Okay here is a question for you -- Is the dports system in a mature
> enough state that one should spend any significant amount of
> time/effort writing portfiles for it?  (without something changing
> that would make them all obsolete).  I understand that dports will
> never acquire full acceptance until enough portfiles are written for
> it.

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote up a nice bit on a porting system using the VFS
features that Matt Dillon is planning:

http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/archives/000013.html

(an aside: are web-accessible versions of the mailing lists planned?)

My understanding of this is that like many features, this decision going
to depend on system capabilities that are not yet built.  So, we may not
have a final direction until we can evaluate a homegrown vs. existing
port system.

There's also the general open source project answer - DIYODS, or Do It
Your Own (Darn) Self.  Boot DragonFly BSD, head over to
http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/darwinports/ and start messing with
it.  If it turns out to work relatively easily, that's a good argument
nobody's made yet...