Project UDI (Device Drivers)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Sep 25 11:33:14 PDT 2003

    IMHO I think we have to implement our own messaging framework first,
    because I think it would be too much of an interruption to try to
    integrate something like UDI from the get-go.  But it sounds like once
    we do have our own framework that it *would* be possible, even practical,
    for those interested in UDI to port it as a user-level interface
    to begin with (since it appears to have abstractions sufficient to deal
    with a user-level interface), and once that is working it could be moved
    into the kernel.  Development is a lot easier to do in userland.

    I do not personally believe I would have time to work on UDI myself, I
    have too many other bullet items to cover.