Anybody working on removing sendmail from base?

Timothy Cava timothy at pcforest.com
Wed Sep 24 21:27:59 PDT 2003

(Let's not bikeshed.)

Anybody working on this in their repository? I'm willing to try, myself,
but I'd like to know whether Matt would accept it, and what's really
necessary. I suppose I could check the mailing lists, but I had trouble
finding useful information last time. It was mostly flamage. I'm
basically just a user/sysadmin/c programmer, not a FreeBSD/DragonFlyBSD
internals expert, so...
Needed:
	* /etc/rc.mail, or an equivalent
	* /etc/rc.conf glue
		Or is sendmail_enable=NO mta_start_script="..."
		already good enough?
	* /etc/defaults/rc.conf defaults
		Do we break clean and provide a small mailer for
		localnet mail? Or just default to sendmail,
		which kind of defeats the purpose, but there is
		POLA. I suppose we could have NO_SENDMAIL
		mean more, like don't use it for defaults (we
		don't have the binaries, whatever)
	* Other things:
		make release? I don't know the build system in
		detail.
		What else? I must be missing things, otherwise
		I feel like this would have been done by -somebody-
		out there.
P.S. I use qmail but I'd want to make this work for any mailer,
     I am in no way carrying a torch. I just think there are
     a lot of people out there who want this.
-Timothy