Ridiculous idea: Cache as ramdisk?

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Tue Sep 23 12:28:05 PDT 2003

Matthew Dillon wrote:

:Journalling file systems seem to be rather optimized for recovery, vs
:the impression I get when I hear the word "journalling" - I think of
:something more like CVS, where you can get any older version of a file
:merely by requesting a different tag.  Such a "write once" filesystem
:would be very nice to use, I think.
:
:Anyway... back to your regularly scheduled BSD forking...
:
:-Chris (in Vancouver, if you care)
    There are major advantages to being able to access a filesystem
    as of some date in the past.  For example, it makes 'undelete' work
    very precisely.  Another huge advantage to a properly journaled
    filesystem is that one can run a continuously streaming 'incremental
    backup' of the filesystem as well as use such a stream to maintain a
    fully independant off-site copy of the filesystem in near real time.
	Look no further, turn yourselves to The Elephant File System,
	``a file system that never forgets''.  Also, it seems to have
	been implemented on a FreeBSD 2.2 VFS implementation. 8-)
	I cannot find lots of information on this, but the following
	URL's should help:
	[1] - http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/santry99deciding.html
	[2] - Google ``The Elephant File System''
	Regards,

--
Hiten Pandya
hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx