Veriexec

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Thu Sep 18 07:37:52 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:12:32AM +0200, Miguel Mendez wrote:
: Hi Matt and the rest,
:
: I've seen some interest in prebinding for DragonFly. IMHO the gain is
: not that big, but YMMV. What I'd like to see is something like NetBSD's
: veriexec (http://members.optusnet.com.au/~blymn/veriexec_announce.html).
: What do you think, worth doing? If people are interested I will start
: porting/implementing it to DragonFly.
:
: Cheers,

	Hmm, I have not investigated this much, but I wonder if Pawel's
	(talented author of Geom Gate!) Cerb framework can be used for
	executable checksumming; since the framework can intercept
	system calls, it is probably possible to look into exec() and
	friend's arguments, and then use that for checksumming
	somehow... hmm, it's just an idea that crossed my mind...

	FWIW, I was once working on this Binary checksumming stuff, but
	then lost interested in it for whatever reasons  (further
	education etc...).  One of the things that I was kind of not
	keen about is how demand paging is thrown out of the window with
	this code.  I am not saying I am against it or anything... ;-)

	Regards,

--
Hiten Pandya
hmp at xxxxxxxxxxx