Filesystems again (was Re: cache_lookup() work this week.)

Ted Unangst tedu at zeitbombe.org
Sat Sep 13 15:15:38 PDT 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     This is precisely why I want to create a userland VFS API for the kernel.
>     The ability to develop and/or port filesystem code from other systems
>     to DragonFly will be enhanced to the point where we might even pull in
>     developers from Linux and the other BSDs just so they can work on
>     filesystems in an environment that (A) does not crash and (B) can be
>     restarted simply by ^C'ing the user VFS and running it again (talk about
>     a forced unmount!).

xfs (the arla xfs used for afs, though i think it's actually called nnpfs
now) was partially designed for this purpose.  i've never heard of anyone
using it for anything else, and there's no documentation, but it should
provide a useful starting point.

--
we have nothing to lose because we don't have anything
anything we want anyway