Filesystems again (was Re: cache_lookup() work this week.)

Pedro Giffuni giffunip at asme.org
Mon Sep 8 22:34:11 PDT 2003

.10.905622 at xxxxxxx> <3F5D5CC9.6ACB494 at xxxxxxxx> <pan.2003.09.09.05.10.18.443325 at xxxxxxx>

Jeremy Messenger wrote:

> It's in GPL license. Check ->
> http://www.namesys.com/content_table.html#13_1
>
> His attitude seems to be little flexible to me, no? Well, who cares.. All
> I care is Hans Reiser's answer of 'yes' or 'no' for BSD license or
> whatever. :-)

Yeah, it's GPLd " This project is GPL'd, but I sell exceptions to the GPL to
commercial OS vendors and file server vendors.  It is not usable to them without
such exceptions..."
It used to have a clause prohibiting implementation of certain features that he
planned to sell.

> > It would be nice if someone takes the few GPL'd files in FreeBSD's ext2fs and
> > replaces them with the NetBSD stuff, which is was reimplemented from FFS. Also
> > OpenBFS looks good (I posted the URL in this thread), and Apple's HFS looks
> > even better as it's being ported to FreeBSD.
>
> You are the same person who posted in the freebsd-hacker mailing list
> about OpenBFS.. ;-) Thanks for this info!

It may not work (C++) and the authors claim they have to optimize it still, but it's
a nice link anyways :).

I think the problem with FreeBSD's lack of filesystems is that few people are
capable and willing to do the actual work. There are many things under a decent
license (OpenAFS, lfs, ancient sysvfs, HFS+, CFFS, etc..), but almost no one has the
know-how to port them. IMHO, the license is an excuse.

    Pedro.