sysinstall v2

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 3 17:35:44 PDT 2003

As I understand it, Zope's strong point is the sophisticated content
management that it provides.  Although interesting, I'm not sure if that
helps much here.  The persistent object model they use does look cool,
but is probably overkill for this project.

If apache was to be replaced, I would suggest finding a very basic, pure
Python web server.  Something that is very easy to understand and
modify.  I'm sure many people here could write one if necessary.
Although a production web server is a big project, a simple web server
is actually pretty easy.  It probably wouldn't take more than 300 lines
of Python (probably much less).

But apache is just fine as well.  Since it's very modular, it's very
easy to strip down.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cmulcahy at xxxxxxxxx wrote:
At the risk of being flamed...
If a decision has been made to include a python run-time with
the install, the use of one of python's web/application server kits like
zope ( zope.org ) or twisted ( twistedmatrix.com : currently moving,
google probably has cache ) could replace apache/php & dependencies at a
cost of a a few extra python libraries & scripts( more than a few in the
case of twisted ).
Both projects seem to have thoughtful and passionate communities, and
either might be willing to lend a great deal of aid and labor for the
"halo effect" of building a forward-thinking install base for a cool new
BSD.
It might be worth doing so if only because the "orthogonal" elements of
the the install might greatly benefit from tight interopability later
down the road for distributed "kick-start" applications or reasons as
yet unthought of.
mulc