sysinstall v2

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Sep 3 14:49:26 PDT 2003

:
:Is it decided that we will use a http:// based installation?
: - I guess yes, as Matt said he wanted it that way and because a lot of
:   people agreed.

    Yes, this is what I would like.

:Are we fixed at Apache? I.e. don't we want to evaluate some thttpd?
: - Someway I remember reading that PHP4 should run as CGI, so some other
:   server might as well do - on the other hand, Apache is well-known and
:   tested and not *that* large, so this might not be an issue.

    Apache because it is the most mainstream, and we do not need the type
    of performance that thttpd offers.

:Is Python our backend scripting language of choice?
:
:Do we want/need PHP4 when we have Python anyways?
: - PHP might be better for templating, tho.

    Yes, the two are orthogonal.  PHP4 is a good templating language but
    not necessarily a good programming language.

    I am not set on Python, but from my read a lot of people already use
    it for complex installation and package management operations and by
    using it we would be able to potentially leverage some of that work.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:cheers
:  simon